L C May Funeral Sercvices Logo
L C May Funeral Services

History of L.C. May Funeral Services, Inc.

The L. C. May Funeral Home was founded November 1, 1960 to serve the funeral service needs of the greater Anderson, Indiana area. It has been at the same location, 2024 Madison Avenue, in Anderson IN, since its inception.

Our goal has been to provide attentive care and services to those in bereavement, regardless of race ethnicity or religious beliefs.

Interest in funeral services began when the founder, L.C. May was introduced to funeral service by Mr. Leonard P. Underwood. In 1957, L.C. May began working as a  apprentice to Mr. Underwood and, after completing the first year  of a two (2) year apprenticeship, he enrolled in the Indiana College of Mortuary Science located in Indianapolis, Indiana while employed at Delco Remy . After graduating in 1958 at the top of his class, Mr. May went on to complete his apprenticeship and was awarded his Indiana Embalmer/Funeral Directors license in 1958.  It was in 1958, at the untimely passing of his mentor Leonard P. Underwood that L.C.  and Katherine decided to start their own funeral business. Therefore, they purchased an existing single family home at 2024 South Madison Avenue and converted it into a mortuary.

In addition to operating the funeral home L. C. May also continued to work at Delco Remy, Division of General Motors where he completed 42 years of service in 1998. He and his wife Katherine nurtured their five children, four boys and one girl. The business continued to prosper and in 1972 with a SBA loan the current location was expanded with the addition of a second chapel, remodeled preparation room and the acquisition of nearby land for expanded parking, and new upgraded building interiors to ensure its continual growth and development. It was during this period that sons Ronald and Stanley May began taking a more active role and joined the firm in 1990 in the management of the business. With contributions from Valerie, David and Joseph May, L. C. May Funeral Home continues its growth and service to the greater Anderson and surrounding communities. In 1998 with plans of offering more services to families, the name L.C. May Funeral Home was changed to L.C. May Funeral Services.

During the period of 1998 thru 2000 the business persevered and the firm has maintained a pattern of growth.  In order to continue meeting the needs of the community and elevate the quality of service that families deserve, we began planning the next expansion of the facility. On March 10, 1998, we held a ground breaking ceremony where we informed the public of our plans to completely remodel the entire facility to add: two new chapels with seating capacity for 275 people, new offices, preparation room, casket selection room, garages, conference room, flower receiving room and a spacious lobby and lounge etc.The plans demanded  that we establish a temporary office off site .We therefore, established our office in the Sherman Street Church of God Annex also known as the Carter Building . All preparation of decedents was performed in Middletown, IN at Ballard and Sons Funeral Home during the period of renovation. We continued to operate the business outside our original location for ten months. Once the facility expansion was completed, the building area increased from 2,200 square feet to 6,200 with many amenities. At the conclusion of construction, a Grand Opening was held and the public was invited to share in the weekend celebration. The celebration was concluded with a dedication that was officiated by the recent changes to the facility demonstrate our commitment to providing professional funeral services to families throughout the Anderson and surrounding communities.

On November 1, 2010 the business celebrated another milestone with the celebration of 50 years of service. Further, our founder L.C. May was also recognized by the Indiana Funeral Directors Association with a 50 Year Pin as a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer.

In 2011 to further enhance the exterior of the facility, the parking lots and landscape were upgraded.